Monday 20 April 2015

Review: The Steerswoman


The Steerswoman
The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This is one of those "former trad-pub book, rights reverted to the author, she's now publishing them herself and writing more in the series" scenarios. I found it via an "also bought" on Amazon.

I enjoyed the competent, experienced female characters (there is a young man setting out on his journey, but he's regarded with indulgent frustration until he proves unexpectedly useful). The hints that technology underlies the magic are nicely built up. The setting, in particular the institution of the information-gathering, map-making Steerswomen, is appealing, though there's no real justification of why it's mainly women who are able to (or want to) take the training, and there's no exploration of how they're funded.

Smoothly written, with only occasional typos. I'll be reading more in this series.



View all my reviews

No comments: