Wednesday 1 October 2014

Review: Honor's Heir


Honor's Heir
Honor's Heir by C.J. Brightley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



What a joy it is to find an author I can rely on to not plunge the knife in.

I make no secret of the fact that I'm not a fan of grimdark, and if anything is the opposite of grimdark, it's this series. Characters are unequivocally good people. Characters are allowed to be happy and love one another. When characters are happy and love one another, it's not a buildup to a terrible reversal in which Tragedy! Strikes! Everyone they care about! (though it can, and does, lead to some tense moments).

This isn't to say that there's no action; there's certainly action, but it's not happening every minute. It's much more a book about relationships than it is about events, and as such, it reminds me of [a:Debora Geary|4654545|Debora Geary|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1298082908p2/4654545.jpg]. It's about the powerful things that happen when people are kind to one another.

I know the author on Google+, and she gave me an unsolicited free copy because I'd reviewed the previous books in the series. I'd gladly pay for future books, because sometimes it's nice to relax and know that things will work out all right because good people are on the case.



View all my reviews

No comments: