Tuesday 2 September 2014

Review: A Cold Wind


A Cold Wind
A Cold Wind by C.J. Brightley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I enjoyed the first book in this series, and, as I predicted, this one is better. I found it emotionally moving more than once, which doesn't happen often. It has two threads to it: a romance plot, and what can't quite be called an adventure plot because it's deliberately not high-action or fast-paced (and, to me, is none the worse for that).

The two would-be lovers, kept apart by their lack of self-confidence and their inability to communicate, were wonderfully depicted, and the matter-of-fact courage of the hero continues to make him admirable.

I did feel that the early part of the book could have been tighter, and found Riona's unpleasant suitor a little too obviously inserted to make a point; I thought that subplot could have been polished further overall. In the main, though, this is a fine piece of writing, and I'm looking forward to the next one.



View all my reviews

No comments: