Thursday 14 August 2014

Review: Blood Charged


Blood Charged
Blood Charged by Lindsay Buroker

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I enjoyed the first and second entries in what I'm glad to see is now officially a series. This one has less romance and more action (despite the handsome cover model). It worked for me just as well as the first two, if not better.

I did roll my eyes a little when, about 70% of the way through, we started getting hints that this is yet another Buroker series where the magic is tied up somehow with aliens. I don't have a problem with this idea in and of itself, but this is now at least the third time she's used it in different fantasy settings (I haven't read one of her series, so it may be the fourth, for all I know). Still, she does change it up a little each time.

The secret of her success seems to be to keep some elements similar between books (the humour, the technology-magic mix, the aliens, the diverse team-ups, the light romance, the penetration of fortresses in the rule-breaking service of the Right Side), make enough changes that it isn't simply the same book rewritten, and write them really quickly. It continues to be a winning formula for me so far.



View all my reviews

No comments: