Saturday 3 November 2012

Review: Matchmakers 2.0


Matchmakers 2.0
Matchmakers 2.0 by Debora Geary

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I read this on the "read ALL the Debora Geary books" principle, because I love her Modern Witch series and its spinoffs. This isn't in the same setting and has completely new characters. In fact, it isn't in the same genre; no fantasy here, only romance (and humour). I enjoyed it anyway, if not as much as her main series.

Like most novellas, it would benefit from being filled out a little more, maybe even to novel length, but what there is is good. I found the humour actually funny (always a plus), and the characters rang true, as did the clueless company making bad decisions. There was some nice interplay between he cynicism of the main character and the cheerful optimism of her friend and co-worker, a New Agey type who wasn't vapid and ineffectual, but had her own kind of strength and even wisdom. I liked all the main characters, in fact (Debora Geary's great skill is creating likeable characters, so we care about what happens to them).

The reason for three stars? I was left wanting more. With another couple of complications, it would make a four-star novel.



View all my reviews

No comments: