Thursday 5 July 2012

Review: A Modern Witch


A Modern Witch
A Modern Witch by Debora Geary

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I bought this because of a recommendation that came from Nathan Lowell, and I can see why he likes the series. It has very much the feel of his Solar Clipper books (the early ones, at least): no antagonist, people helping other people, loving families and friends, people who are in many ways living ordinary lives and facing the ordinary challenges of family, relationships and work with courage and good-heartedness.

Also like Lowell's books, food and drink are very important. Lauren, the main character, is always eating comfort food (ice cream and chocolate being favourites), and a lot of the scenes take place over meals.

It's not, therefore, a non-stop thrill-ride. But it is heartwarming and enjoyable, and I immediately bought the next in the series as soon as I'd finished.




View all my reviews

No comments: