Monday 22 September 2008

Fiction review: Urban Shaman

Urban Shaman  (Book 1 of Walker Papers) Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I've been sampling a bit of urban fantasy lately and this is the best I've found - or at least the one that matches my particular tastes best. There's an endorsement from Jim Butcher, one of my favourite authors, on the cover that says, among other things, that the main character is likeable, and she is (in contrast to some other urban fantasy main characters I've been reading recently, Marla Mason being the main one that comes to mind). She's strong, courageous and has a clear moral centre, but is also flawed and aware that she is going to have to deal with her flaws and that it will be painful.



The other thing I liked was that the story is redemptive. The main character sets out to heal the villain - not destroy him. We could do with more of that.



Well told, with a good touch of humour that isn't overdone. I recommend it.


View all my reviews.

No comments: